Author Topic: Execute on selected files  (Read 971 times)

enzyme

• View Profile
Execute on selected files
« on: October 15, 2010, 06:35:25 AM »
Dear Actions Team,

Right, I think I have advance question here.  I am not yet get deep into it, but a question pop in mind:

Would it be possible to have "Actions" executed on selected files? I mean, before the Action itself runs.

For example, I select some files in the Explorer or particular folder and then I like to just right-click and run Actions or maybe just Drag and Drop to have Actions does the job. Similar to Photoshop Action Droplet.  ::)

Thank you.
- J

enzyme

• View Profile
Re: Execute on selected files
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:53:59 AM »
In tandem with this question, would it be possible to execute Actions on files inside folder (and all the folders under) without having to select or point the folder?

I am trying to create Actions that does this:
1. Select some files or point a folder in which inside has bunch of files.
2. Filter those files, for example: everything end with JPG.
3. Move this filtered JPG files into folder called JPG.

In execution, this workflow works, it is just I need to find some kind of shorcut so that Actions just execute right away into that selected files or folders.

Thanks.

- J

Le Taulier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • app.jbbres.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »
It is totally possible and very easy:

I guess your workflow is having a "Ask for files" action. This action ask the user to choose files when the workflow is executed.
If instead you use the "Get files" action (or if you deselect the "show when running the workflow" box), you can select files from your hard drive that will be used during the workflow execution.

When running the workflow, it will not ask you to select files. It will automatically select the one you have selected during the definition and work with them.

// Le Taulier

enzyme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 05:11:13 AM »
Thanks again for the reply Le Taulier.

I just tested both "Ask for files" and "Get files" action. They both are very similar; when both is set not to select files, it seems to be doing the same thing?

I was thinking more like "droplet" workflow, where you can have "exe", of which selected files can be drag and drop into to do certain workflow actions. That would be very handy. The "wexe" does not allow for drag and drop.

But, I am interested with what "Get files" can do.

Say, if I have a specialized folder where I put bunch of files, probably with "Get Files" I could specify certain actions for those files.

I could think some kind of workflow like Belvedere (Lifehacker):
http://lifehacker.com/341950/belvedere-automates-your-self+cleaning-pc

Actions is very interesting because it can do more, very flexible! Will brainstorm further.

Le Taulier

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • app.jbbres.com
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 05:59:36 AM »
OK, I understand better what you mean.

I didn't think of such a functionality but that could be very handy if smartly done. I'll definitely put this idea in the to-do list and, hopefully, it will be one of the next "killer" functionalities of Action(s) (we have a few other ones that we are working on...)  :)

Thanks,

// Le Taulier

enzyme

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:26:07 AM »
That's fantastic! :D Looking forward to it.

FANTASTIC- J